Thursday, August 09, 2007

Too Wordy, No Pictures, Too Personal, Can't Be Bothered To Read More Than The First Two Sentences...

...Blah Blah Blah and all the ad naseum comments I've received about my blog.

Yadda yadda, I know my blog is wordy and you usually can't bring yourself to read past the first two paragraphs, or words, whatever. Then go over to some site where the blogger is a narcissist camera whore that has pictures galore to appeal to your visceral gratification.

Seriously, have anyone of you assholes out there ever considered? The reason why I do this is because I set up this blog to write, damnit, not cater to your viscerous instinct!

Yeah, sometimes I do want to give my readers a treat, other times I do think that pictures would actually enhance the attractiveness quotient be of some use to whatever text I'm writing, and so I spend THREE freaking hours posting up pictures after pictures on my blog.

And, then, I ask myself, all these for what?

For your three minutes scanning pleasure? For three minutes of your pleasant perusal?

It's so easy to fall into the trap of counting the number of hits your blog gets a day. Has my blog's ranking on Technorati moved up? Did this entry of mine containing a truckload of my bigass pictures actually attracted more chee ko peks readers than usual? Hmm...maybe I should post up more pictures of myself the next time round.

It's so easy to attract readers to your blog, damnit. The more convenient ones are leaving comments on other more popular bloggers' sites, or posting some comment in some widly popular forum or website.

The second way is by posting on some popular subject matter, like some mass shooting taking place in a school or Britney Spears attempting to go on a party night out sans underwear, so when people google those keywords, -Voila!- it leads to your site! Yay! More readers! If I keep this up, maybe advertisers will come knocking on my door blog.

I've seen SO MANY bloggers do that, but I don't.

How is this little seemingly inconsequential fact actually vital to the point I'm trying to make? From what I've typed above, I think it is fairly obvious I DON'T CARE WHETHER YOU LIKE READING WHATEVER I POST IN MY BLOG. IF YOU DO, THEN FINE. IF YOU DON'T, THEN PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR OF NOT VISITING MY BLOG. EVER. AGAIN.

I don't see why I have to cater to your needs and what you like to read, when THIS IS MY BLOG!

At least, I very well know that I have friends out there who like absoutely love what they are reading in my blog.

Ok, let's talk about the criticism, shall we?

The one that has me truly nonplussed to the max is the one that says my blog is too personal. Hello? Excuse me?! How can that be?!

From my POV (fairly subjective, I know) a blog has to have two components:

(1) Personal components. This can mean two things: personal experiences or personal opinions towards a subject matter. I don't want to read some text that has been CUT, COPY AND PASTE from some other website, and vomited regurgitated out on your blog, to pass off as your blog contents. Sorry, that isn't your blog contents, that is some contents you got from some other website just to fill up the column space on your blog.

HELLO. RIDICULOUS CAN. HOW CAN A BLOG BE CONSIDERED A BLOG IF IT IS NOT ABOUT PERSONAL EXPERIENCES OR PERSONAL OPINION PIECES? THIS IS SUPER RIDICULOUS! IF IT IS ABOUT WORDLY ISSUES OR SOME GOSSIP COLUMN, THEN IT IS A BLOG SPECIALLY DEDICATED TO THESE WORDLY ISSUES OR GOSSIPS. MY BLOG IS NEITHER. THANK YOU.

(2) I find it laughable that someone even mentioned to me that my blog is too personal. You know what I think too personal is?

[At this point, if I want to create more hits for my blog, I will paste some links to some wildly popular too personal websites, and when these popular bloggers goggle their name and it leads to my blog, you know what that means, don't you?]

Too personal, in my dictionary is when someone posts up random stuff about themselves NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN READING. AND WHEN I SAY NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN READING, IT MEANS NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN WHAT TIME YOU GOT UP THIS MORNING, WHAT YOU ATE FOR BREAKFAST, WHETHER YOU WALKED YOUR DOG OR NOT, WHAT YOU WORE TO WORK THIS MORNING, ETC ETC.

Exception:

[Unless this is mentioned in a one-liner, especially to paint a picture in the readers' minds (Sometimes, minutiae details add flavour to the overall story) and NOT crucial to the entire blog post, and does not go on and on and on for the whole blog entry!)

If it is a breakup with a boyfriend, then I think the sadist curiosity in everyone will be very interested to know all the gory details. (If you managed to read this blog entry all the way until here, then I think it proves my point. Everyone loves a delicious morsel of gossip or discontentment, don't they?)

Oh god, I don't really want to offend anyone, but in defending myself, I think I might have accidentally on-purpose step on some toes. But, don't worry, if you are my friend, I will be immensely interested in what you did during the day, and what you had for breakfast this morning. (:

So, if you have ever criticised my blog by any of the words you see in the title post, I hereby issue you the license to start feeling guilty. Now.

No comments: