Wednesday, August 13, 2008

sappy farewells

I was speaking to Yoo Jung, a South Korean friend, and she was telling me something that really struck a chord in my heart.

'Tears were rolling down my cheeks, it was so embarrassing, especially since I was crying during my tutorial class!'

She was talking about the time when one of her close friends left Melbourne permanently.

I wanted to say something to her. Anything. Anything to comfort her. To soothe her ruffled soul. To tell her to be strong. But, I said nothing. I just sat there and listened to her talk.

I was silent because I realize the pain. The pain of being away from home and seeing one of your best friends leave. And, it's the kind of pain that no words can take away, that no emotional plaster can erase. It's the kind of pain that you have to overcome yourself. All by yourself.

I am beginning to realize that what Han said was right, that no one will, and can ever replace my friend.

No comments: