Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Who says reporters can't be young?

I'm fed up.

Fed up with the look and stares people give me.

So, what is the deal here?

If I'm not a balding man with white hair and a receding hairline, or not subjecting my arms to the punishing weight of heavy, professional camera equipment, I'm a faux?

Come on, I'm none of the above.

I am a bona fide reporter.

So, the next time, PLEASE do not stop me at the door entrance just to double-check or confirm my status. You make me feel like an adult of legal age getting checked at the entrance to a bar or to an R21 movie.

I DO NOT circumvent legal rules to get to where I am. So, I would appreciate if you stop making me feel like a conniving bitch, trying to bypass certain requirements just to gate-crash an event.

I had the last straw recently, when a fan came up to me during an event. And, to put it simply, she thought that I had 'bluffed' my way through.

Trying my best to sound polite and not the least bit offended, I finally asked her, 'Why would you think I did that?'

She shrugged. 'I only thought so because you look rather young to me.'

And, if you think I feel flattered that someone thinks I look young, I'm not in the least bit. Rather, I felt that statement offensive, and dripping with disparaging innuendos.

I might consider wearing a wig the next time round.

No comments: