Tuesday, April 29, 2008

the 'foolish journalist'

We had a little role-play for our class today, where we had to draw lots to pick out a character and act it out in class. The setting was for a 'press conference', and the theme on 'Asian values', where Singapore's draconian laws on hanging without exceptions taking central stage.

The roles were that of Singapore SM Lee Kuan Yew, Malaysia former-PM Mahathir Mohamad, and journalists from all over the world, including South China Morning Post, International Herald Tribune, New York Times and The Straits Times.

As usual, you always pick out the role which you least favour. And, for me, I picked out the role that I would most hate to be in real-life - Journalist for The Straits Times, Singapore.

Well, basically, since the setting was a 'press conference', the main stars were 'Lee' and 'Mahathir', who had to field questions from the 'press'.

Everyone began saying how easy my role was, because basically I had three choices on what I had to do as a journalist with The Straits Times:

(1) Agree with Lee Kuan Yew

(2) Agree with Lee Kuan Yew

(3) Agree with Lee Kuan Yew

How hard was that, really?

And, so, the 'press conference' began. It was basically divided into three groups. 'Lee' (played by this Caucasian guy) & 'Mahathir' (played by another Caucasian guy), the 'Western press' (played by mostly Caucasians) and the 'Asian press' (played by mostly Asians, including myself).

The 'Western press' started off by firing questions mostly at 'Lee', such as why Singapore had to resort to hanging people, instead of sentencing them to life-long sentences.

(Side-track a bit: Hangings in Singapore take place every Friday at 6.05am at Changi Prison, and media coverage usually seen the following week. Singapore journalists actually send their articles to public relations departments to proof-read before sending it to press. And also, some international publications go to the extent of sending their articles to Lee Kuan Yew himself to proof-read before sending it to press.)

A 'Western journalist' argued that a lifetime behind bars was more humane than hanging people. To which 'Lee' replied, "Do you know how much it costs to keep someone in jail?" adding that it was costing taxpayers' money to pay for jail -baits' food, housing etc.

The 'Western press' was pretty aggressive in the beginning, firing non-stop queries, leading 'Lee' to question: "Can we please have some questions from the Asian press?"

So, basically, as I've so clearly outlined my role before, I had to agree with whatever the Caucasian guy (playing Lee) said. Easy enough. But, I ended up making a fool of myself.

Raising my hand, I introduced myself and where I was from, before directing my question at 'Lee'.

"Singapore is building itself up as a global city. So, by hanging people without considering reasons such as why they are bringing drugs into the country, do you think it will taint the image of the city?"


Which I admit was INDEED a very inane question, and TOTALLY OUT OF CONTEXT OF MY ROLE-PLAYING.

To which, 'Lee' turned to the lecturer, puzzled, and sought to confirm which 'publication' I was from again. After confirming, 'Lee' turned to me and said something along the lines of,

"Well, you do know that you need to have
your license renewed annually.

I'm going to have your license revoked."

I know of some Straits Times journalists who have actually been brave enough to voice out their dissent to Lee himself. But, unfortunately, the only outcome of their courageousness was having their press license revoked, and most leave the country disillusioned.

There was a
Reuters journalist who also posed a very provocative question to Lee once on the freedom of the press, or lack of it, in Singapore. To which, Lee avoided the question thoroughly and asked totally inconsequential questions of his own, such as the journalist's name and which publication she came from.

I could be wrong, but after answering my question and causing a minor uproar, 'Lee' turned to 'Mahathir' and said that it was a 'foolish' question to ask, which led me to think if it were in a real-life setting, would I have done the same thing? The answer is no. Because it's just not worth it, simple enough.

Well, I got to redeem some of my common sense back later on in the 'conference'. A 'Western journalist' had posed something along this line of question to 'Lee': "Do you think it's right to restrict the freedom of the press and cause your citizens to live in a climate of fear?"

To which, 'Lee' started off by disagreeing that the citizens live in a climate of fear, before trailing off, and finding himself at a loss for words. Cleverly, he turned to me and asked, "Well, what do you have to say, Singapore journalist from The Straits Times?"

My reply went something along the lines of, "Well, I would say that Singapore citizens don't really mind the lack of press freedom. Because they have everything, housing, cars, education...They place economic stability above freedom of speech." To which, I could see my lecturer at the side nodding her head vigorously in agreement.

Having only stood up to 'Lee' in a pretend-setting, I must say that I applaud the journalists who have done so in real-life, but yet I cannot help shaking my head and questioning the outcome of their bravery.

A revoked license. A disillusioned you. And just another statistic that bloggers and senior citizens at the Kopitiam discuss about and the mainstream media indelibly censor out.

Is it really worth it?

No comments: