Monday, March 17, 2008

F1 Ferrari Fever @ Lygon Street

This post is specially dedicated to my friend Dee, who is nuts about F1. Happy 21st babe.

Hand on heart, I did everything I could to dig up every last piece of information bone-dry on the Australian Grand Prix because my friend is a fan of F1 and Kimi Raikkonen.

I even searched the internet for details on Kimi's flight, but some of my guy friends who are into F1 told me that it costs at least $80 for the cheapest ticket to the Grand Prix. So, it would be wiser to watch it on TV for free.

So, I thought that at the very least, I could make my way down to Albert Park on the day itself. But guess what? All the tram services have been shut down due to the Grand Prix!

So when this Aussie friend working at an Italian restaurant informed us that there was going to be a Ferrari showcase ("where people go to see the models, not the cars"), I went nuts.

The entire Lygon Street was brimming with activity, restaurants having outrageous promotions, Italians who are HUGE, HUGE fans of F1. Trust me, I hear the word F1 wherever I go.

The F1 merchandise is sold for crazily high prices, a jacket alone costs $180, and an autographed memorabilia of Kimi costs $200++. It's crazy.

The night ended on a note of disappointment, as you can see from the photos below. There wasn't much to see at all, even when I returned at a later timing.

Lunch at the famous Lygon Street. This is seriously the only place I know in Melbourne that operates on a 24-hour basis.

It has built up a well reputation for housing a smorgasbord of high-class dining eateries. The prices of the food are equally high-class.

Here you see me having pasta for lunch. See the wine and see the plain water that I'm having. The wine owner recommended the sweetest type of wine to me, and I still found it bitter! Apparently, its a medley of rose and raspberry, and the bright, ripe colour gives an idea of how sweet it is supposed to be. I guess, unlike Aussies, I don't have a 'European's stomach' ( a term used to describe people who can consume large quantities of wine in a single seating) for wine.













A giant poster of Kimi. Or at least what I think is Kimi. For god's sake, I have no idea what Kimi looks like exactly, so please forgive me, if the guy in the photo is some random dude instead of Kimi.


No comments: